Now Reading:

Erdogan visits scene of Ankara twin bomb attack for first time

world news

Erdogan visits scene of Ankara twin bomb attack for first time


Turkey’s president has visited the scene of a twin bomb attack in Ankara for the first time.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan laid flowers where 97 people were killed and hundreds more wounded on Saturday.

He was joined by Finnish President Sauli Niinisto, who is on an official visit to Turkey.

Police, intelligence and security chiefs have been removed from their posts, as investigations into the attacks continue. It is unclear whether they will return to their jobs.

The two bombs exploded seconds apart, targeting a rally of pro-Kurdish activists and civic groups near Ankara’s main train station.

They came three weeks ahead of a general election.

It was the worst attack of its kind in Turkish history. Turkey’s prime minister said earlier this week that ISIL fighters are the prime suspect.

There have been protests against what critics of Erdogan and the government see as a major intelligence failure.

Erdogan says any mistakes will be found and discussed.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article