Now Reading:

Poroshenko remains committed to Minsk peace deal

world news

Poroshenko remains committed to Minsk peace deal


Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko addressed emergency session of the National Security and Defence Council on Sunday. He said de-escalating the conflict in the east of the country was the priority for the Kyiv government, and reaffirmed his commitment to the September peace deal signed in the Belorussian capital Minsk.

“Ukraine remains a strong supporter of peaceful solution to the problem. We adhere to each letter of the Minsk agreements. Ceasefire, the release of hostages, the border closure, the withdrawal of foreign troops and the beginning of a political process of de-escalation and regulation is our priority,” said Poroshenko.

Earlier on Sunday, ordinary people in Kyiv continued to pay tribute to the victims of the Mariupol shelling a day earlier.

The EU Foreign Ministers Council plans to discuss the attack on Monday.

People on the streets of the capital remain firm in their resolve to continue fighting for their country.

“The territory shouldn’t be ceded, we must defend every meter of our land,” said one woman. “It should be ours. We must withstand enemy’s attack”.

Another said: “If they invade we should drive them out! We should stand for our territory! So many people died… We should go all the way!”

Euronews correspondent Maria Korenyuk reported: “Ukraine asks the world to put even more pressure on Russia. After the Mariupil tragedy, Kyiv wants the international community to recognise Luhansk and Donetsk People’s Republics as terrorist organisations. And Moscow who is accused of supporting the rebels may face stricter sanctions.”

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article