At least 27 people have been killed in a “violent attack” at a train station in the southwestern Chinese city of Kunming carried out by a group of unidentified people brandishing knives, the Chinese state news agency Xinhua said on Sunday.
Another 109 were injured, the report added. It said the attack had taken place late on Saturday evening.
State television said on its official microblog that the incident had been deemed a “violent terror attack”.
Pictures on the Twitter-like microblogging service Sina Weibo showed bodies covered in blood lying on the ground at the station.
There was no immediate word on who was responsible.
State television said on its official microblog that domestic security chief Meng Jianzhu was on his way to the scene.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.