09/01/14 13:51 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A European Parliament committee has voted in favour of allowing whistlebower Edward Snowden to testify to the chamber in a special hearing. The proposal has divided MEPs and risks undermining US/EU relations.
The hearing could take place in April, but only if it is approved by a full parliament vote next month.
The Civil Liberties Committee back the planned appearance by 36 votes in favour, two members voted against, and there was one abstention.
The former US National Security Agency worker would testify by interactive video link from Russia, where he has been granted temporary asylum.
Washington is seeking to have Snowden extradited to the US to face espionage charges.
He fled the country after leaking documents about the NSA’s spying activities, including its widespread monitoring of telephone and email data.
Subsequent revelations that German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s mobile phone had been monitored caused uproar across the EU.
Nevertheless, some centre-right MEPs are opposed to allowing Snowden to testify. Others are open to the idea but question its purpose.
“What can he explain to us that hasn’t already been published?” asked German MEP Axel Voss in December. Voss is from Merkel’s Christian Democrats, who belong to the centre-right European People’s Party grouping.
- 1Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 2No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
- 5Refugee numbers drop while obstacles multiply for some nationalities
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
American Thanksgiving between travel and tradition
Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
Coe under renewed scrutiny over decision to award Eugene 2021 world championships
How does your country rank in EU child poverty study?
The death of Rio Doce, the “sweet river”, under a tide of toxic mud
Wires > News
- 03:05 CET Venezuela opposition says local leader shot dead days before vote
- 02:30 CET Thai graft, royal insult cases threaten to embroil junta
- 02:04 CET Exclusive – U.S. has urged legal reforms abroad to block Islamic…
- 01:04 CET Human error led to deadly U.S. strike on Afghan hospital – military
- 22:42 CET U.S. using sex, money to infiltrate Iran, supreme leader says
- 21:50 CET Sarkozy battles far-right in French regional vote
- 21:33 CET Palestinian stabs Israeli soldier and is shot dead – army
- 21:33 CET Russia’s past and present collide at ceremony to honour former…