Police in India have brought murder charges against two men suspected of gang-raping a 16-year-old girl in West Bengal. It had previously been reported that the girl had died of her injuries after setting herself on fire on December 23, two months after she was allegedly raped on two separate occasions by a group of men. However it has emerged that in her dying statement to police, she told them that two of the rape suspects had set her alight.
According to doctors, the girl was pregnant at the time of her death on New Year’s Eve.
“We have filed a murder case against the two main accused on the basis of the final statement of the girl in which she had said that she was set on fire,” said local police official Anant Nag.
It’s alleged that the girl was first gang-raped on October 25 in Madhyamgram near Kolkata in West Bengal state. She was then said to have been subjected to an identical assault by the same men after reporting the first attack to police. Six men were arrested in connection with the two attacks.
Then, on December 23, the girl’s family alleges that an associate of the arrested gang visited her house on December 23 and threatened her with “dire consequences” if she did not withdraw her complaint to police. She was set on fire later the same day, sustaining 65 percent burns, before succumbing to her injuries a week later.
It is understood that the family of the victim has demanded the death penalty for the offenders.
The case has sparked large protests in Kolkata, with much anger directed towards the police. The victim’s father has alleged that police officers seized her body and tried to cremate her without the family’s permission. He also claims police told him to relocate his family from the area.
Members of political parties joined thousands of local residents in protest marches on New Year’s Day. The leader of the Communist opposition party in the Bengal assembly, Suryakanta Mishra, told reporters:
“Soon after Tuesday night’s incident where police held up the body and tormented the victim’s family, I had a word with the home secretary. I told him, instead of standing beside the victim’s family, police are practically playing the role of goons.
“We believe without orders from the top, police could not have acted the way they did. Police are even trying to downplay the incident as evident from the fact that they registered the second rape complaint as molestation. What is striking is the silence of the chief minister on the issue. She only gave her wishes for the New Year but conveniently sidestepped the brutal incident.”
The case is the latest in a series of high-profile instances of sexual violence in India. There were widespread demonstrations following the fatal gang-rape and beating of a 23-year-old woman in Delhi in December 2012. Four men were sentenced to death by hanging for that crime last year.
By Mark DavisMore about:
- 1Libya: Rights groups slam death sentence for Gaddafi son
- 2Ukraine poised to bring corruption case against Yanukovych
- 3Supermarket bans sugary drinks “to help cut childhood obesity”
- 4Submarine:Swedish Navy say wreck is not 2014 mystery sub
- 5EU foreign policy chief in Iran for discussions on implementing nuclear deal
- 1Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 2Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 3Turkey appears to attack Kurdish targets in Syria, Turkey denies claim
- 4Saudi King flies into Cote d’Azur amid row over beach closure
- 5Sex, drugs and ‘shocking’ behaviour: Lord Sewel steps down amid allegations of lewd conduct
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 00:59 CET Romania’s PM Ponta to go on holiday amid criminal probe
- 00:41 CET Iraqi militia leader says U.S. not serious about fighting Islamic…
- 00:34 CET Thousands rally in Finland against lawmaker’s anti-immigration…
- 23:16 CET U.S. to parole convicted Israeli spy Pollard on November 21
- 22:45 CET Iraqi militia leader says U.S. not serious about fighting Islamic…
- 22:15 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 22:05 CET EU’s Mogherini in Iran to discuss nuclear deal, region – TV
- 20:35 CET Ukrainian military pilot faces unfair trial in Russia – lawyers