A new, growing islet off Tokyo in the Pacific Island has connected to an older Japanese island. Volcanic activity on the landmass is still underway and continues to expand.
On Thursday, officials confirmed the island was connected to Nishinoshima Island. This is part of the Ogasawara Islands, about 1,000 kilometers south of Tokyo.
Fukashi Maeno, Associate Professor at Tokyo University’s Earthquake Research Institute, says the volcanic activity is vigorous. He says the red magma is rising. Maeno confirmed the landmass is connected to the older island. He says the islet is expected to expand as lava continues to gush out. The section connecting the two masses will also become larger.
The distance between the two islets narrowed to some 10 meters as of Tuesday. The new islet, which first emerged as a spewing volcanic cone, is unlikely to be given a name as it will be regarded as part of Nishinoshima in the Ogasawara chain.
Aerial observations by the Coast Guard have revealed that the northwestern side of the new islet has joined with the south side of the Nishinoshima at two points. Between the points is a pool of murky seawater, according to the Coast Guard.
Volcanic fumes some 100 meters high are being emitted by a crater on the island. Kenji Nogami, a professor at Tokyo Institute of Technology’s Volcanic Fluid Research Center who took part in the observation, said the volcano is highly active, with fumes and lava continuing to increase in amount.
The Coast Guard confirmed the existence of the new islet on Nov. 20. Due to flowing lava, it had grown to 150,000 sq. meters of Tuesday from some 10,000 sq. meters on Nov. 21.
- 13D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 2French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 3Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Refugees tell of ISIL brutality which forced them to leave Syria
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 3NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 4France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 53D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 17Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
The platform hopes to help worldwide stars tap into their online fanbase
EU officials ‘hiding meetings’ with tobacco industry lobbyists
Extreme poverty likely to drop below 10% – World Bank
3D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
On one beach: 283 lifejackets, 48 plastic tubes, 36 pieces of clothing
Wires > News
- 16:15 CET EU seeks Turkey help to block migrant flows, offers cash
- 16:13 CET Congo to hold referendum on third presidential term
- 15:40 CET President to address Portuguese, start post-election government…
- 15:15 CET Nobel prize for solving puzzle of ghostly neutrino particles
- 15:06 CET Pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine postpone disputed elections
- 14:36 CET Arpad Goncz, Hungary’s first post-Communist president, dies at 93
- 13:43 CET Japan promises visiting Sri Lanka PM infrastructure, maritime aid
- 13:41 CET French court drops genocide case against Rwandan priest – source