The go-ahead has been given for the UK’s first new nuclear station in a generation.
French firm EDF and the British government has signed an agreement to build two nuclear reactors at Hinkley Point C in Somerset, southwest England, at a cost of £16 billion.
EDF will lead a consortium of firms involved in the project, which include China General Nuclear Corporation, China National Nuclear Corporation and Areva.
UK prime minister David Cameron said: “Earlier this month I spoke about our new industrial policy that looks to the future, and about our determination to embrace new technologies and back new industries and energy sources so that they can flourish and help us build a rebalanced economy across the country.
“As part of our plan to help Britain succeed, after months of negotiation, today we have a deal for the first nuclear power station in a generation to be built in Britain. This deal means £16bn of investment coming into the country and the creation of 25,000 jobs, which is brilliant news for the South West and for the country as a whole.
“As we compete in the tough global race, this underlines the confidence there is in Britain and makes clear that we are very much open for business.”
EDF Group chairman and CEO Henri Proglio said: “The agreement in principle reached today with the British government significantly strengthens the industrial and energy co-operation between France and the United Kingdom.
“The project at Hinkley Point represents a great opportunity for the French nuclear industry in a context of a renewal of competencies.
“This project will deliver a boost to the economy and create job opportunities on both sides of the channel and will enable the United Kingdom, a country in which EDF is already the leading producer of electricity, to increase the share of carbon-free energy in its production mix.”
- 1Flight MH17: was shot down by a BUK missile fired from Eastern Ukraine – Dutch report
- 2Netanyahu vows ‘knife terror’ won’t beat Israel as stabbings multiply
- 3YPG militia alliance set to attack ISIL stronghold Raqqa “within weeks”
- 4Germany: PEGIDA slams Merkel over refugee influx
- 5ISIL training children to kill
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 00:33 CET Syria’s army, allies plan offensive against insurgents in Aleppo
- 00:20 CET Blasts in northeast Nigeria’s Maiduguri kill at least seven – Red…
- 00:05 CET U.S., Australia rebuff China over South China Sea
- 23:36 CET Exclusive – Syrian army, allies preparing attack in Aleppo area…
- 23:06 CET Exclusive – India battles big pharma over cough syrup abuse…
- 23:01 CET Exclusive – Jeb Bush says Putin’s Russia should face consequences…
- 22:47 CET Islamic State urges jihad against Russians, Americans – audio
- 22:40 CET Britain and China to hail ‘golden’ ties during Xi visit