09/09/13 10:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A 58-year-old Uruguayan man who disappeared four months ago in the remote Andes Mountains was found alive on Sunday, after he spent a brutal winter eating rats and raisins to survive, local media reported.
Raul Fernando Gomez Circunegui in May set out to cross the mountains from Chile to Argentina on foot because his motorcycle broke down. He then reportedly lost his way during a snowstorm.
Argentine officials from the northwestern province of San Juan stumbled upon Gomez in a shelter 2,840 metres above sea level when they travelled there to record snow levels.
A feeble Gomez was able to hobble over and open the shelter’s door, alerting the crew to his presence.
“The truth is that this is a miracle. We still can’t believe it,” San Juan Governor Jose Luis Gioja told the local Diario de Cuyo newspaper. “We let him talk to his wife, his mother and his daughter. … I asked him: ‘Are you a believer?’ He told me, ‘no, but now I am.’”
Sugar, raisins, rats and the shelter’s leftover supplies kept Gomez alive through the Southern Hemisphere’s winter. He lost 20 kilos during the ordeal and is dehydrated, according to media reports.
Photos of an emaciated, bearded Gomez resting on a bed were splashed on the websites of Argentine newspapers Clarin and La Nacion. A doctor who examined Gomez was surprised by the man’s resilience, according to Uruguayan newspaper El Pais.
“He’s a patient with high blood pressure, a history of smoking and signs of undernourishment,” the doctor was quoted as saying. But “he’s going to be fine and in a few days we’re going to discharge him.”
In 1972, a plane carrying an Uruguayan rugby team to Chile crashed in the Andes. Some of the survivors sustained themselves by eating dead bodies.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 14Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
American Thanksgiving between travel and tradition
Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
Coe under renewed scrutiny over decision to award Eugene 2021 world championships
How does your country rank in EU child poverty study?
The death of Rio Doce, the “sweet river”, under a tide of toxic mud
Wires > News
- 19:08 CET Russia and Turkey refuse to back down in row over jet downing
- 18:51 CET Cuban man arrested in Greece in connection with Havana art heist
- 18:49 CET December deal for British EU reform difficult – senior EU official
- 18:40 CET Tunisia says suicide bomber carried out bus attack claimed by…
- 18:38 CET France detects first bird flu outbreak in eight years
- 18:36 CET Sisi loyalists sweep list seats in Egypt’s election
- 18:29 CET U.S. probe says Afghan hospital strike was tragic accident
- 18:14 CET Paris attacks a reason Canada slowing Syria migrant flow, PM says