A small volcano vent has suddenly appeared near Rome’s International Fiumicino airport.
The geyser-like vent, which is nearly two metres wide, opened up and started shooting out steam and mud over the weekend.
Since then scientists have begun studying the hole, labelling it a ‘fumarole’, an opening in the earth’s crust.
The nearest volcanic activity is more than 12 miles south-east of Rome, where the latest volcanic activity was some 20,000 years ago.
Photo and video credit CC: Live Leak
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Florence + The Machine caught by cushion rain in Lyon
Watch live: Francois Hollande and Angela Merkel press conference on Greece
Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
Fidel Castro visits cheese-makers in rare public appearance
Greek finance minister accuses creditors of “terrorism”
Wires > News
- 01:07 CET Teenager blows herself up near mosque in Nigeria’s second city
- 22:08 CET Ebola-stricken nations need $700 million to rebuild healthcare
- 21:03 CET Four teachers among six Israeli-Arabs charged for promoting…
- 20:52 CET EU approves 1.15 billion euro aid package for West Africa
- 19:42 CET Chicago’s Fourth of July rituals – fireworks, gun deaths
- 19:32 CET 800 million still hungry and poor despite progress of millennium…
- 19:20 CET Bulgaria eyes Poland fighter deal to cut dependence on Russia
- 19:04 CET Insight – Iranian nuclear deal set to make hardline Revolutionary…