A small volcano vent has suddenly appeared near Rome’s International Fiumicino airport.
The geyser-like vent, which is nearly two metres wide, opened up and started shooting out steam and mud over the weekend.
Since then scientists have begun studying the hole, labelling it a ‘fumarole’, an opening in the earth’s crust.
The nearest volcanic activity is more than 12 miles south-east of Rome, where the latest volcanic activity was some 20,000 years ago.
Photo and video credit CC: Live Leak
Wires > News
- 02:16 CET Hopes for democracy crushed in the Chinese rebel village of Wukan
- 01:56 CET U.S. urges leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid tensions
- 01:51 CET Woman dies, children hurt in Bahrain bomb blast – police
- 01:44 CET Trump floats idea of using NATO in fight against Islamic State
- 01:32 CET Document spells out FBI rules to get journalists’ phone records -…
- 01:15 CET Lower voting age leaves many wondering ‘Where’s Japan’s Bernie?‘
- 00:53 CET Obama administration calls on private sector to assist refugees
- 23:10 CET U.S., Russia discuss Syria cooperation if Assad halts some strikes