16/08/13 16:17 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
He was one of the most reviled and divisive kings in English history.
And, more than 500 years since he was hacked to death on a British battlefield, he is continuing to split opinion.
In one corner are the descendants of Richard III, whose bones were discovered under a car park in Leicester, England, last year.
Opposing them is the University of Leicester, who led the mission to find, exhume and identify Richard’s remains – hailed as one of the most remarkable archaeological discoveries in English history.
The university had obtained permission to reinter the king at the cathedral in Leicester, which is close to where he died in Bosworth in 1485.
But in a ruling on Friday (Aug 16) High Court Judge Charles Haddon-Cave said there should have been wider consultation about the burial plan. He then granted permission to the Plantagenet Alliance, a group of descendants and enthusiasts who want to bury him near York, to initiate a judicial review into the issue. They argue he should be buried in the northern English city because that was where he had close links to during his life.
The judge wrote: “The archaeological discovery of the mortal remains of a former king of England after 500 years is without precedent.
“I would, however, urge the parties to avoid embarking on the (legal) Wars of the Roses Part 2. In my view, it would be unseemly, undignified and unedifying to have a legal
tussle over these royal remains.”
Richard, depicted by William Shakespeare as a deformed tyrant who murdered his two young nephews to strengthen his grip on power, died during the War of the Roses. The 30-year civil war was a dynastic power struggle between two rival Plantagenet factions. Richard’s death ended Plantagenet rule and heralded the start of the Tudor era under King Henry VII.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > News
- 13:28 CET Khomeini grandson loses appeal to stand in Iranian election
- 13:11 CET Stalin-era prison chief jailed for 20 years in Romania
- 13:06 CET Syrian rebels demand U.S. action ahead of peace talks
- 12:46 CET Afghan police officer killed after firing on coalition troops
- 12:42 CET At least six killed at Cameroon funeral by two suicide attackers
- 12:23 CET Kremlin critic Mikhail Kasyanov says life threatened in Moscow…
- 12:08 CET Indian scientists express doubt over meteorite death attribution
- 12:02 CET France’s Fabius leaves office, wider reshuffle due