09/08/13 10:13 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Miami man who reportedly posted a photo of his wife’s body on Facebook after killing her turned himself in to authorities on Thursday and confessed to the slaying, police said.
Derek Medina, 31, claimed to have fatally shot his wife, Jennifer Alonso, Miami-Dade police said in a statement. Officers discovered the woman’s body when they went to their home.
A 10-year-old girl on the property was found unharmed, police said.
A Facebook page with the name Derek Medina showed a picture of a woman identified as Alonso lying on the floor with her arm and face covered in blood.
Police would not confirm whether the Facebook page belonged to Medina, and the page was later taken down.
A message posted on the page under Medina’s name read, “My wife was punching me and I’m not going to stand anymore with the abuse so I did what I did. Hope you understand me.”
“I’m going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife,” it said.
Police said Medina has not yet been charged. Their investigation continues.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
EU migrant quotas: Hungary’s referendum gets the go-ahead
Circus lions rescued in South America arrive in new African home
90,000 unaccompanied children seek refugee in Europe in 2015
What happens when a journalist disappears?
Against all odds: Leicester City create “biggest ever betting shock”
Wires > News
- 23:52 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term