18/07/13 11:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
On Thursday July 18 from 12.30pm (CET) the riders of the Tour de France leave Gap and head towards the infamous Alpe d’Huez stage of the race. It is set to be a dramatic day with riders facing the daunting task of climbing the mountain not once, but twice in one day.
Between 700,000 and one million spectators are expected to gather along the route to show their support. Many people have been camping out for several weeks around the 21 bends of the ascent, to watch the climatic and often dangerous part of the tour.
Following the grueling ascent to the first station riders will, for the first time in the history of the race, have to take on a second peak – the category two ‘Col de Sarenne’.
However, it is not the second ascent that has caused concerns among team members, but the terrifyingly steep downhill section in between the two. Weather conditions are also expected to make matters worse with forecasts of thunderstorms and rain throughout the Oisian mountains.
Race organisers ASO are hoping the weather holds off, or else they may be forced to cancel the second climb completely.
Here is a selection of images and videos shared on social networks related to the epic stage 18 of the Tour de France:
Crédit photo Flickr/ humbert15
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Wires > News
- 22:42 CET Colombia to offer tax breaks for development under peace deal
- 22:38 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 21:00 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 20:40 CET South Sudan forces, armed groups clash, displacing civilians – U.N
- 20:15 CET Belgium arrests two over ‘terrorist’ activity
- 19:58 CET Nine drown when boat capsizes in Kenya
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper