Russia has been commemorating the Battle of Stalingrad.
For a few hours the city of Volgograd readopted its old name of Stalingrad to mark the 70th anniversary of the six-month campaign that turned the tide of World War Two.
President Vladimir Putin flew to the city, known as Stalingrad from 1925 until 1961, to lay a wreath and meet veterans after a military parade and featuring a wartime T-34 tank.
Hundreds of war veterans turned up for the parade on central Square of the Fallen Fighters, their coats weighed down by medals, the youngest of them now 89.
Some two million people died during the battle but Russia’s victory is a symbol of national pride, and has produced an outburst of patriotic fervour.
For others it has heightened nostalgia for the Soviet era and dictator Josef Stalin.
After Stalingrad, Soviet troops fought their way westward to Berlin, taking the German capital 27 months later.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin takes control of Russia’s defence industries and calls for new weapons
- 2Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava
- 3Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 4Iceland’s latest volcano eruption worsens
- 5Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 8#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 11Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 14Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 15Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:00 CET Russia’s Sistema chairman under house arrest in Bashneft case
- 19:46 CET Islamic State shoots down Syrian war plane – monitor group
- 19:15 CET U.S. pledges 3,000 troops to fight Ebola; experts say more needed
- 18:34 CET Housing project helps South Africa’s platinum miners escape shanty…
- 18:28 CET Canadian government urged to support Bangladesh trust fund
- 18:25 CET Yemen clashes between Shi’ite rebels and tribesmen kill 22 -…
- 17:59 CET Belgian synagogue fire leads to arson investigation
- 17:53 CET U.N. says Palestinians, Israelis reach deal on Gaza reconstruction