After the jubilation across Europe at Barack Obama’s victory, it would be simple to sit back and relax. After all, we know what we’re getting. Better the devil you know.
But relations between Europe and the US have sometimes been strained under Obama’s administration. Most notably over the eurozone crisis.
And in his congratulation message to Obama, the President of the European Parliament, Martin Schulz, described the transatlantic relationship as “fatigued”. Cause for concern?
Euronews spoke with Ian Lesser from a leading American think tank, on the implications for Europe of another four years with Obama.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Former minister Jacques Wagner confident Rousseff can return to power
With Michel Temer at the head, what’s next for Brazil?
Turkey: Erdogan ‘expected to tighten grip’
Fighting ISIL: exclusive in-depth report from Iraq frontlines
Exclusive: Greek PM says crisis nearly over, no more austerity needed
Wires > News
- 13:43 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…
- 13:34 CET Russia may extend counter-sanctions until end-2017 – PM
- 13:23 CET Russia intensifies strikes on Nusra Front oil sites – military…
- 13:22 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile stays within limit set by nuclear deal -…
- 13:21 CET Syrian refugee finds home among the beards of Budapest
- 13:13 CET Singapore charges six Bangladeshi men with terrorism financing
- 13:10 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash as search…
- 11:59 CET U.N. urges Greece to improve poor living conditions for refugees