Newsletter Newsletters Events Events Podcasts Videos Africanews
Loader
Advertisement

Elon Musk calls Pedro Sánchez 'tyrant' over plans to ban minors from using social media

AP Photos. Editing: Euronews
AP Photos. Editing: Euronews Copyright  AP Photo
Copyright AP Photo
By Malek Fouda & Christina Thykjaer
Published on Updated
Share Comments
Share Close Button

The tech billionaire attacked the Spanish premier after Pedro Sánchez announced Madrid intends to roll out new rules to protect minors from social media harm, which would see executives potentially liable in court.

Tech billionaire and X owner Elon Musk called Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez a "tyrant and traitor to the people of Spain" in response to Madrid's plans to roll out new measures aimed at regulating digital platforms and protecting minors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

On Tuesday, Sánchez announced a new legislative proposal aimed at holding social media executives accountable for failing to properly police their platforms.

The proposals looks to ban under-16s from accessing social media, as Madrid expressed concern with the rise of hateful and incendiary speech on digital platforms.

Sánchez said social media platforms will have to implement age verification tools that actually work, not easily bypassable checkboxes, if they wish to operate in Spain.

Musk, a self-described supporter of radical free speech, labelled the Spanish leader "Dirty Sánchez," an offensive term referencing a sexual act.

The measures announced by the Spanish executive aim to combat what Madrid considers the “Wild West” of social networks, where laws are often ignored and hate speech is tolerated.

One of the measures announced by the Spanish premier looks to make social media platform executives and owners liable in court if they fail to remove hateful or illegal content — a move which would directly affect the likes of Musk.

His criticism of Sánchez comes as the European Union explores new tools to hold US Big Tech accountable for breaching digital rules.

On Tuesday, French authorities conducted a search of X's Paris offices as part of an investigation into algorithm manipulation and possible foreign interference, in which Musk has been called to testify.

X responded to the French raid by stating it was "disappointed by this development, but ... not surprised."

"The allegations underlying today’s raid are baseless and X categorically denies any wrongdoing. Today’s staged raid reinforces our conviction that this investigation distorts French law, circumvents due process, and endangers free speech," the company said in a statement Tuesday.

"X is committed to defending its fundamental rights and the rights of its users," it concluded.

X was fined €120 million last year by the European Commission for breaching transparency rules.

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments

Read more

Meta and YouTube face landmark trial over youth social media addiction claims

French lawmakers approve bill banning social media for children under 15. Here’s what we know

Is social media as bad for mental health as we think? New study challenges screen time fears