Loader
Advertisement

Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on A-list Ukraine war movie starring Sean Penn

The gas leak in the Baltic Sea from Nord Stream photographed from a Swedish coastguard aircraft, 27 September, 2022
The gas leak in the Baltic Sea from Nord Stream photographed from a Swedish coastguard aircraft, 27 September, 2022 Copyright  AP Photo
Copyright AP Photo
By Gavin Blackburn
Published on Updated
Share Comments Add Euronews on Google
Share Close Button

The Ukrainian suspect had previously been held in Poland for his alleged role in destroying the pipelines but Warsaw refused to extradite him to Germany.

A Ukrainian man arrested in connection with the 2022 Nord Stream bombing was detained while working on a Hollywood movie about the gas pipeline attack starring Adrien Brody and Sean Penn, a report said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Police in Pula, Croatia arrested Volodymyr Zhuravlyov on Wednesday under a European arrest warrant put out by Germany, which is seeking his extradition.

German prosecutors say Zhuravlyov is a trained diver and accuse him of helping plant explosives on the Baltic Sea energy link between Russia and Germany that destroyed three of the four pipelines in 2022.

Germany's Legal Tribune Online reported he was arrested while working on the set of the upcoming movie "Snake Island," which is being directed by Doug Liman who was also responsible for 2002’s "The Bourne Identity."

It will star Brody and three-time Oscar winner Penn.

Zhuravlyov worked as an advisor for the film, according to media reports the AFP news agency was unable to immediately verify with German or Croatian authorities.

Ukrainian defendant Volodymyr Zhuravlov listens as a judge announces the decision not to allow for extradition to Germany in Warsaw, 17 October, 2025
Ukrainian defendant Volodymyr Zhuravlov listens as a judge announces the decision not to allow for extradition to Germany in Warsaw, 17 October, 2025 AP Photo

The Ukrainian suspect had previously been held in Poland for his alleged role in destroying the pipelines.

But authorities there refused to extradite him and let him go, judging that any such Ukrainian attack would have been a legitimate act of war rather than a crime.

The Baltic Sea sabotage attack came months after Moscow's February 2022 full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

German investigators believe the attack was ordered by a Ukrainian state agency with the aim of depriving Russia of future energy revenues to finance its war in Ukraine.

Prosecutors charge Zhuravlyov worked closely with Sergiy Kuznetsov, another Ukrainian man who was arrested in Italy last year before being extradited to Germany.

The case is politically awkward for Germany and Ukraine, as Berlin has strongly backed Kyiv in its fight against Russia.

German government officials, when asked about the issue, have pointed to the independence of the judiciary.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has said his government knew nothing about any plan to blow up the pipelines.

Additional sources • AFP

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments Add Euronews on Google

Read more

Second Ukrainian arrested in connection with Nord Stream pipeline explosions

Man charged with sabotage of Nord Stream gas pipeline in German court

Polish court blocks extradition to Germany of suspect in Nord Stream pipeline attack