Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Allardyce turns down Newcastle approach to return as manager

Allardyce turns down Newcastle approach to return as manager
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - England & Soccer Aid World XI Training - Motspur Park, London, Britain - June 7, 2018 Sam Allardyce during training Action Images via Reuters/Andrew Boyers/File Photo -
Copyright
Andrew Boyers(Reuters)
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

(Reuters) – Former England boss Sam Allardyce says he turned down an opportunity to take the vacant manager’s job at Newcastle United.

Allardyce, who was Newcastle boss from 2007 to 2008, said he rejected the chance to replace Rafa Benitez, who quit St James’ Park last month at the end of his contract.

“I was very flattered that I was considered but it’s that thing… don’t go back,” Allardyce, who has been out of a managerial job since leaving Everton last year, told talkSPORT.

“It never got to the type of talks people are suggesting – but it wasn’t for me. I politely said ‘no’.”

British media reported former Manchester United defender Steve Bruce is among the frontrunners for the Newcastle hot seat and Allardyce believes the Sheffield Wednesday manager would relish the opportunity to take up a fresh challenge on Tyneside.

“If he gets offered the job I’ll think he’ll jump at the chance,” Allardyce said. “I think it would be one of his dreams to manage his hometown club.”

(Reporting by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru; Editing by Toby Davis)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.