Newsletter Newsletters Events Events Podcasts Videos Africanews
Loader
Advertisement

Gaza-bound aid flotilla says it is 'under attack' as Israel intercepts fleet off Cyprus

This grab from CCTV footage shows activists aboard a flotilla boat with their hands in the air as a boat approaches in international waters, 18 May, 2026
This grab from CCTV footage shows activists aboard a flotilla boat with their hands in the air as a boat approaches in international waters, 18 May, 2026 Copyright  AP Photo
Copyright AP Photo
By Konstantinos Tsellos & Gavin Blackburn
Published on
Share Comments
Share Close Button

The Israeli foreign ministry said the aim of the flotilla was to "serve Hamas, to divert attention from Hamas's refusal to disarm and to obstruct progress on President Trump's peace plan."

Israeli forces intercepted a Gaza-bound aid flotilla on Monday after it sailed from Turkey last week, in the latest attempt to breach the blockade of the Gaza Strip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

The Global Sumud Flotilla is the latest of numerous attempts since the beginning of the Gaza war to deliver aid to the Palestinian territory by sea and the second within a month, with a previous convoy intercepted by Israeli forces on 30 April.

"Global Sumud Flotilla is under attack!" the flotilla wrote on X, saying four Israeli warships had approached their vessels.

"Military vessels are currently intercepting our fleet and IOF forces are currently boarding the first of our boats in broad daylight," it said, with the flotilla tracker showing several vessels intercepted west of Cyprus.

"We demand safe passage for our legal, non-violent humanitarian mission. Governments must act now to stop these illegal acts or piracy meant to maintain Israel's genocidal siege on Gaza.”

"Normalisation of the occupation's violence is a threat to us all," the statement said.

Around 50 ships had departed from southwestern Turkey on Thursday as part of the flotilla.

Earlier on Monday, Israel vowed to prevent the convoy from reaching Gaza.

"Once again, a provocation for the sake of provocation: another so-called 'humanitarian aid flotilla' with no humanitarian aid," the foreign ministry posted on X.

"This time, two violent Turkish groups - Mavi Marmara and IHH, the latter designated as a terrorist organisation - are part of the provocation," the ministry said, vowing not to allow any breach of the Israeli blockade on Gaza.

"Israel calls on all participants in this provocation to change course and turn back immediately," it said.

Flotilla serves 'Hamas'

"We are sure that at least two to three boats" have been stopped, Gorkem Duru, a member of the Turkey branch of the Global Sumud Flotilla, who is not on board, told the AFP news agency.

"But some of them continue" towards Gaza, Duru said, adding that "communication links with the ships were cut off."

The Israeli foreign ministry said the aim of the flotilla was to "serve Hamas, to divert attention from Hamas's refusal to disarm and to obstruct progress on President Trump's peace plan."

Palestinians walk along a street surrounded by buildings destroyed during the Israel Hamas war in Gaza City, 15 May, 2026
Palestinians walk along a street surrounded by buildings destroyed during the Israel Hamas war in Gaza City, 15 May, 2026 AP Photo

Under the ceasefire plan proposed by Trump, which took effect in October and has largely halted the fighting in Gaza, the territory is to be fully demilitarised, including the disarmament of Hamas.

The ministry rejected claims that Gaza was facing aid shortages.

"The Gaza Strip is flooded with aid. Since October alone, more than 1.58 million tons of humanitarian aid and thousands of tons of medical supplies have entered Gaza," it said.

Israel controls all entry points into Gaza, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007.

During the war in Gaza, triggered by Hamas's unprecedented 7 October 2023 attack on Israel, the territory has suffered severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies, with Israel at times halting aid deliveries entirely.

The previous flotilla attempt was intercepted in international waters off Greece, with most activists expelled to Europe.

Palestinians walk along a street surrounded by buildings destroyed during the Israel Hamas war in Gaza City, 15 May, 2026
Palestinians walk along a street surrounded by buildings destroyed during the Israel Hamas war in Gaza City, 15 May, 2026 AP Photo

But Israeli forces arrested two of them, Spanish national of Palestinian origin Saif Abu Keshek and Brazilian activist Thiago Avila, and brought them to Israel for questioning.

The pair were detained in a prison in the southern Israeli city of Ashkelon before being deported several days later.

Dozens of other activists were taken to the Greek island of Crete and released.

Rights groups said the arrests of Abu Keshek and Avila were illegal and that the men suffered abuse while in Israeli detention.

Israeli authorities have rejected the abuse allegations but filed no charges against the pair.

Additional sources • AFP

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments

Read more

United Nations demands Israel 'immediately' release two Gaza aid flotilla activists

Two flotilla detainees arrive in Israel amid fears for Spaniard Abu Keshek

Activists on Gaza flotilla intercepted by Israel disembark in Crete