BREAKING NEWS

Two dead after massive floods hit southeastern France

Two dead after massive floods hit southeastern France
A fishing boat is seen on a street after heavy rain fall in Cagnes-sur-Mer, France, November 24, 2019. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard -
Copyright
ERIC GAILLARD(Reuters)
Text size Aa Aa

ROQUEBRUNE-SUR-ARGENS, France (Reuters) – Two people were found dead on Sunday after massive flooding that has hit southeastern France since Friday, causing major damage in the region, local authorities said.

One person was found dead near Muy, between the towns of Nice and Marseille, the police prefecture of the Var department said in a statement.

The statement did not say whether that was the person it had earlier reported as missing after falling off a rescue boat near Muy late on Saturday.

Another body was found in a car in Cabasse, a village nearby, it added.

In its earlier statement, the prefecture said a 77-year old man was also missing since Saturday morning in Saint-Antonin-du-Var.

Several rivers burst their banks in southeastern France, causing major damage as homes were flooded and trees, cars and boats were swept along by the waters.

Rainfall continued in the region on Sunday, but was less intense. Floods were expected to subside during the day, Meteo France said in a statement.

Interior Minister Christophe Castaner was due to travel to the Var later on Sunday to meet victims and rescue workers.

(Reporting by Sybille de La Hamaide and Eric Gaillard; Editing by Mark Potter)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.
Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.