BREAKING NEWS

Kuwait's emir to return home from U.S. after medical care

Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

DUBAI (Reuters) – Kuwait’s 90-year-old ruler will return home on Wednesday from the United States where he had been admitted to hospital, causing him to postpone a meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump, state news agency KUNA said on Tuesday.

Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah has ruled the U.S. ally and OPEC oil producer since 2006 and steered its foreign policy for more than 50 years.

The emir’s office in August said that Sheikh Sabah had suffered a health setback while in Kuwait without providing details. He then travelled to the United States for the Trump meeting which was cancelled when he was admitted to hospital.

(Writing by Lisa Barrington; Editing by Alison Williams)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.
Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.