Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Cambodia says to increase arms purchases from China

Cambodia says to increase arms purchases from China
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

PHNOMPENH (Reuters) – Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Monday that an additional $40 million (£32 million) would be spent on weapons from China to modernise the Southeast Asian country’s military

Cambodia’s military ties with ally China have been under increased scrutiny after concerns expressed by the United States and a report – denied by Hun Sen – of a secret deal to allow Chinese forces to use a Cambodian naval base.

Hun Sen said the $40 million to be spent by Cambodia was in addition to a total of $290 million already given by China for modernising the forces. He spoke during a visit to a Chinese-funded stadium in the capital Phnom Penh.

Hun Sen said weapons being purchased included tens of thousands of guns to replace old stock and they were already being shipped.

“I want to strengthen the army,” Hun Sen said in a speech broadcast live on Facebook.

Hun Sen again dismissed a Wall Street Journal report last week that China had reached a secret deal with Cambodia this year to let it place forces at Ream. The report cited U.S. and allied officials.

The United States has also voiced concern that the Ream naval base in southern Cambodia could host forces from China.

(Reporting by Prak Chan Thul; Editing by Michael Perry)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.