BREAKING NEWS
This content is not available in your region

Del Potro says to play singles at Madrid Open

Access to the comments Comments
Del Potro says to play singles at Madrid Open
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Shanghai Masters - Shanghai, China - October 10, 2018 - Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina in action. REUTERS/Aly Song/File Photo   -   Copyright  Aly Song(Reuters)
Text size Aa Aa

SAOPAULO (Reuters) – Juan Martin Del Potro will return to singles action in the Madrid Open this week after 10 weeks out with a knee injury, the Argentine said on Tuesday.

The world ranked no. 8, who played a doubles match with Kei Nishikori last weekend, will face Serbian Laslo Djere on Wednesday in his first singles tournament since the Delray Beach Open in February.

Del Potro suffered a knee injury in October last year and although he reached the semi-final of the Delray tournament, he was in obvious pain and took another break afterwards.

The decision to return comes less than three weeks before the French Open, a tournament in which he has never got past the semi-final.

However, four of Del Potro’s 22 singles titles have come on clay, and the big Argentine will be aiming to return to form and add a second grand slam title to his 2009 win in the US Open.

(Reporting by Andrew Downie; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.