Suruc suicide bombing: Turkey 'identifies suspect' in ISIL-claimed attack

Suruc suicide bombing: Turkey 'identifies suspect' in ISIL-claimed attack
By Sarah Taylor with Reuters
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below:Copy to clipboardCopied

Turkey says a suspect has been identified in the Suruc attack as images emerge of the moment the deadly bomb exploded.

On July 20, 2015, a group of young, political activists in the southern Turkish town of Suruc posed for what may have been their last photos.

Recent history in Turkey shows us that those responsible for massacres in which the state played a role, which were carried out with support from within the state, have never been caught.

Just moments later, a blast would tear through the gathering, killing at least 32 and wounding more than a hundred.

The self-proclaimed Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Turkey’s Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu says a suspect had been identified and his international and domestic links are being investigated.

However, Selahattin Demirtas, the co-leader of the pro-Kurdish HDP Party was sceptical of authorities’ reactions:

“Recent history in Turkey shows us that those responsible for massacres in which the state played a role, which were carried out with support from within the state, have never been caught. Our recent history is full of numerous examples of this,” he told the press.

Suruc lies ten kilometres from the Syrian border, which hosts several ISIL-held territories. NATO has been pushing for tighter border controls between the two countries.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

Disbelief and determination at funeral for Suruc suicide-bomb victims

Suruç attack: Turkey to tighten security along border with Syria

Turkey: Death toll climbs in Suruc attack