BREAKING NEWS
This content is not available in your region

Iran president says there is video footage of attack on Iranian tanker

Access to the comments Comments
Iran president says there is video footage of attack on Iranian tanker
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani speaks during press conference in Tehran, Iran, October 14, 2019. Official Presidential website/Handout via REUTERS   -   Copyright  OFFICIAL PRESIDENTIAL WEBSITE(Reuters)
Text size Aa Aa

DUBAI (Reuters) – Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said an Iranian tanker damaged in the Red Sea on Friday had been hit by at least two rockets, and there is video footage of the incident.

Iranian authorities reported that the Iranian-owned oil tanker, the Sabiti, was struck off Saudi Arabia’s coast. There has been no independent report on the cause of the damage.

Iran’s rival Saudi Arabia has said it was not behind any attack on the tanker. Saudi authorities said they received a distress message from the vessel, but they added that it had switched off its transponder before they could assist.

Rouhani, speaking live on state television on Monday, said the attack was undoubtedly carried out by a government and that there would be consequences.

(Reporting by Parisa Hafezi; Writing by Alexander Cornwell; Editing by Alison Williams, William Maclean)

Euronews provides articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.