Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Japan not now considering sending military for U.S.-proposed maritime coalition - Suga

Japan not now considering sending military for U.S.-proposed maritime coalition - Suga
FILE PHOTO: Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga unveils 'Reiwa' as the new era name at the prime minister's office in Tokyo, Japan, April 1, 2019. Franck Robichon/Pool via Reuters -
Copyright
POOL(Reuters)
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

TOKYO (Reuters) – Japan’s top government spokesman said on Tuesday that there was no change in the country’s stance that it was not considering sending its Self-Defence Forces for a U.S.-proposed maritime coalition in the Middle East.

Asked if there was a change in the position previously stated by Defence Minister Takeshi Iwaya, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said it was “as Minister Iwaya said.”

U.S. national security adviser John Bolton on Monday met Foreign Minister Taro Kono, Iwaya and national security adviser Shotaro Yachi.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Monday that before making a decision on joining the United States, Japan wants to fulfil what it sees as a unique role it has to play in reducing tension.

(Reporting by Linda Sieg and Kaori Kaneko; Editing by Chang-Ran Kim)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.