BREAKING NEWS
This content is not available in your region

North Korea says embassy raid in Spain was a 'grave terrorist attack'

North Korea says embassy raid in Spain was a 'grave terrorist attack'
FILE PHOTO: A Spanish National Police car is seen outside the North Korea's embassy in Madrid, Spain February 28, 2019. REUTERS/Sergio Perez   -   Copyright  Sergio Perez(Reuters)
Text size Aa Aa

SEOUL (Reuters) – A break-in at the North Korean embassy in Spain last month was “a grave terrorist attack”, a representative from North Korea’s foreign ministry said on Sunday in the North’s first official comment on the incident.

The foreign ministry representative also called for an investigation and said North Korea was closely watching rumours that the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation and an anti-North Korea group were behind the raid.

“An illegal intrusion into and occupation of a diplomatic mission and act of extortion are a grave breach of the state sovereignty and a flagrant violation of international law, and this kind of act should never be tolerated over the globe,” the North’s state-run KCNA news agency quoted the representative as saying.

(Reporting by Ju-min Park and Soyoung Kim; Editing by Paul Tait)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.