BREAKING NEWS
This content is not available in your region

Russia dismisses Islamic State responsibility claim for deadly blast

Access to the comments Comments
Russia dismisses Islamic State responsibility claim for deadly blast
A man lays flowers as people gather to commemorate victims of a recent explosion in an apartment block in Magnitogorsk, Russia January 3, 2019. REUTERS/Ilya Moskovets   -   Copyright  STRINGER(Reuters)
Text size Aa Aa

MOSCOW (Reuters) – Russian investigators on Friday dismissed the veracity of a claim by the Islamic State militant group that it was responsible for a deadly apartment building explosion in December that killed 39 people.

The claim was made in the Al Naba newspaper on Thursday evening and said IS militants had been behind the deadly explosion in the city of Magnitogorsk at the end of December. No proof was provided to back the assertion.

Russia’s Investigative Committee said in a statement that the claim should not be trusted and said investigators were looking at all possible causes of the blast.

Their primary theory was that a gas leak was to blame, the statement said.

(Reporting by Maxim Rodionov, writing by Maria Tsvetkova Editing by Andrew Osborn)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.