Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

U.S.-backed Syrian force resumes ground assault on Islamic State

Text size Aa Aa

AMMAN (Reuters) - The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces said on Sunday it had resumed a ground assault against Islamic State in its last foothold near the Iraqi border, following the suspension of the offensive last month after Turkish shelling of northern Syria.

The Kurdish-led SDF said its operations in the Deir al-Zor area had restarted as the result of "intensive contacts between our forces' leadership and the international coalition and active diplomatic efforts aimed at defusing the crisis on the (Turkish-Syrian) border".

In a statement, the SDF said it was committed to continuing operations "to eliminate (Islamic State)".

The U.S.-led coalition kept up air strikes in the Deir al-Zor area despite the pause in SDF operations.

Turkey views Kurdish influence in northern Syria as a national security threat. The SDF is spearheaded by the Kurdish YPG militia, which Ankara views as an extension of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which has waged a three-decade insurgency in Turkey.

(Reporting by Tom Perry and Suleiman al-Khalidi. Editing by Jane Merriman)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.