EventsEventsPodcasts
Loader
Find Us
ADVERTISEMENT

BP has no plans to take its own tankers through Hormuz

BP has no plans to take its own tankers through Hormuz
FILE PHOTO: The logo of BP is seen at a petrol station in Kloten, Switzerland October 3, 2017. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann Copyright ARND WIEGMANN(Reuters)
Copyright ARND WIEGMANN(Reuters)
By Reuters
Published on Updated
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button

LONDON (Reuters) - BP <BP.L> has not taken any of its oil tankers through the Strait of Hormuz since a July 10 attempt by Iran to seize one of its vessels, the British company's Chief Financial Officer Brian Gilvary said on Tuesday.

The oil and gas company has no current plans to take any of its own vessels through the strait, Gilvary said, adding that BP is shipping oil out of the region using chartered tankers.

"We will continue to make shipments through there but you won't see any BP-flagged tankers going through in the short term," he said.

Tensions spiked between Iran and Britain this month when Iranian commandos seized a British-flagged tanker in the Strait of Hormuz, the world’s most important waterway for oil shipments.

That came two weeks after British forces captured an Iranian oil tanker near Gibraltar suspected of violating European Union sanctions on Syria.

Earlier this month, three Iranian vessels tried to block the passage of a BP-operated tanker through the Strait of Hormuz but withdrew after warnings from a British warship.

Washington, which has by far the strongest Western naval contingent in the Gulf, on July 9 proposed stepping up efforts to safeguard the Strait of Hormuz.

(Reporting by Ron Bousso, writing by Shadia Nasralla, editing by Louise Heavens and Alexander Smith)

Share this articleComments

You might also like