- BLOG | 29/04Traveller’s diary: Krasnodar
This week, Russian Life takes us to the mountains on the shores of the Black Sea, at the foothills of the Caucasus, one of Russia’s most picturesque regions, which draws adventurers from all over the country.
Krasnodar is a region of dense forests and steep cliffs. Alexey is our guide: this former restaurant chef travelled the world studying volcanoes. On his return, he became a mountain guide, turning his passion into a new career.
“In our region, lots of people engage in mountain sports. Mountain biking is popular, as is boating, rock climbing, and hiking,” he tells us.
Alexey and his climbing partners tour the region, climbing any rocks they come across.
In the evening, after a good day’s climbing, they take a moment to enjoy the sunset before getting ready for the night.
“I’ve travelled around the world, from Alaska to the South Pole and back through Australia, New Zealand and Japan. We climbed many volcanoes – but for me, the best places are here, at home, in Krasnodar Krai,” says Alexey.
Another day brings another adventure. In the deep canyons at the foot of the cliffs flows the Belaya – one of Krasnodar’s main rivers. Its rough stream rises high after rainfall – creating ideal conditions for white water rafting.
Before we take off, Alexey gives a brief presentation, reminding everyone about the safety rules:
“If you fall out – swim on your back and use your legs to move against the current, we’ll catch up with you and get you out of the water. Is that clear? And don’t panic.”
Trying our best not to panic, we set off. Some of the passengers are beginners, working hard to try and row in sync with more skilled athletes as our raft gains speed. We sweep through the magnificent scenery in this region, which is preparing to host the 2014 Olympic Games in the southern city of Sochi.
Our guides shout out their commands over the deafening noise of the river.
“This is quite an extreme sport, but anyone can try it out on this river. The conditions here are fantastic,” says Alexey Chikalov, the second guide onboard the raft.
It’s a real adrenaline rush as we leap through the waves, avoid the rocks and paddle frenetically. Everyone is exhausted, soaking wet, and happy.
“Amazing people, amazing nature, I can’t say that nothing compares but you’ve got to try it… It’s unforgettable, an experience not to be missed,” shouts Ellena out as the waves hit her face.
In the next edition of Russian Life we discover another region in southern Russia famous for its fishing – the Volga Delta near Astrakhan.
- 114-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 2The epic race to the South Pole on the operatic stage
- 3Russia’s Pussy Riot mocks prosecutor general Yury Chaika in new video
- 4Postcards from Uzbekistan: The Ak-Saray Palace, Shakhrisabz
- 5Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video