ArcelorMittal says Italian prosecutors ordered shutdown of ILVA furnace no.2

ArcelorMittal says Italian prosecutors ordered shutdown of ILVA furnace no.2
FILE PHOTO: The Ilva steel plant in Taranto, southern Italy, seen on April 27, 2018. REUTERS/Tony Gentile/File Photo -
Copyright
Tony Gentile(Reuters)
Text size Aa Aa

MILAN (Reuters) – ArcelorMittal said it had received an order from prosecutors in the southern Italian town of Taranto to switch off furnace no. 2 at the ILVA plant which it bought in a rescue deal last year.

ArcelorMittal said the shutdown order was connected to a fatal accident in 2015 which had led prosecutors to impound the blast furnace.

Arcelormittal said it would work with authorities and look for “an acceptable solution” to keep the furnace operational.

(Reporting by Valentina Za; Editing by Crispian Balmer)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.