BREAKING NEWS
Advertising
This content is not available in your region

What people are saying about Tiananmen anniversary and vigil ban in Hong Kong

Access to the comments Comments
What people said in Hong Kong on Tiananmen anniversary
What people said in Hong Kong on Tiananmen anniversary   -   Copyright  Thomson Reuters 2021
Text size Aa Aa

HONGKONG -Hong Kong police banned a vigil commemorating the 1989 crackdown by Chinese troops on pro-democracy protesters in and around Beijing’s Tiananmen Square for a second year in a row.

Following are some comments on the anniversary, which is particularly awkward for Beijing this year, as it celebrates 100 years of the Communist Party. Some residents declined to give their full name due to the sensitivity of the matter.

CHOWHANGTUNG, VICE-CHAIRWOMAN OF THEHONGKONGALLIANCE IN SUPPORT OF PATRIOTICDEMOCRATICMOVEMENTS OF CHINA, ORGANISER OF THEANNUALVIGIL, WHOWASARRESTEDEARLY ON FRIDAYFORPROMOTING AN UNAUTHORISEDASSEMBLY

“As long as they haven’t said candles are illegal, we will light a candle.

“It’s a sign of whether we can defend our bottom line of morality … That’s the test.”

U.S. SECRETARY OF STATEANTONYBLINKEN ON TWITTER

“June 4 is the 32nd anniversary of the PRC’s deadly crackdown in Tiananmen Square, killing thousands of protesters simply calling for their rights and freedoms to be respected. Human rights are universal, and all governments must protect and promote them.”

TAIWANPRESIDENTTSAIING-WEN ON FACEBOOK

“I believe for all Taiwanese who are proud of their freedom and democracy, they will never forget about this day and will firmly stick with their faith, unshaken by challenges.

“We will also not forget about the young people who sacrificed themselves on Tiananmen Square on this day 32 years ago, and year after year, friends in Hong Kong who always mourn June 4 with candlelight.”

WANGDAN, ONE OF THESTUDENTLEADERS AT THE 1989 TIANANMENSQUAREPROTESTS, SPEAKING TO CABLE TV

“I really don’t see any hope now. We still don’t have democracy and freedom. For Hong Kong people, they lost what they once had, so it’s even more heartbreaking to see.”

“Most of my Hong Kong friends are either in jail or in exile. There have already been many arrests, we don’t need more unnecessary sacrifices. We all know if we take to the streets now, they will continue to make arrests. I think it’s unnecessary.”

SUNNYCHEUNG, ACTIVIST IN EXILE, IN A TEXTMESSAGE TO REUTERS

“It is a battle against oblivion. For so long, HK has been the only place where can hold vigils to commemorate victims of the 6.4 and that defines HK as the only beacon of liberty and truth under the CCP’s governance.”

JAILEDACTIVISTJIMMYSHAM, VIAHISFACEBOOKPAGE

“This June 4th, I will also light a cigarette at 8pm. We do not see the hope of democracy and freedom in a leader, a group, or a ceremony, every one of us is the hope of democracy and freedom.”

YAMINIMISHRA, AMNESTYINTERNATIONAL’S ASIA-PACIFICREGIONALDIRECTOR

“Once again, the Hong Kong authorities are using COVID-19 as a pretext to muzzle the rights to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly. People must not be punished for the simple act of lighting a candle in memory of the victims of the Tiananmen crackdown.”

YOUWEIJIE, SPOKESWOMANFORTHETIANANMENMOTHERSGROUP, SPEAKING TO PUBLICBROADCASTERRTHK IN BEIJING

“Banning the rally for reasons other than relating to the epidemic, I think would be against humanity. The Hong Kong government should not intervene.

“We have to see how the government will handle the candlelight vigil in the future.

“I had already expected sooner or later the government would intervene, would stop people from commemorating June 4. Hong Kong now has the power, the strength or it thinks the time has come to stop the vigil, and wants people to forget about it.

“Perhaps the candlelight vigil can’t be held, but I believe in the hearts of Hong Kong people there will always be a candlelight, a righteous candlelight. Even if there’s no rally at Victoria Park, people will be remembering the massacre in their hearts and mourn for the victims.”

HANDONGFANG, 58, TIANANMENPROTESTERANDLABOURACTIVIST, SPEAKING TO REUTERSNEARVICTORIAPARK

“If you are afraid, you would be afraid of it 32 years ago. It’s part of my life now. I am a Beijing Hong Konger. I was in Tiananmen Square 32 years ago. I was jailed before. Hong Kong hasn’t died yet … We need to know that Hong Kong still hasn’t died.

“As long as I am a human, still breathing, how can I forget?”

RESIDENTS:

CHAN, 30, HEALTHWORKER, OUTSIDEVICTORIAPARK

“There will be some people lighting candles, but not many due to the heavy police presence. I will not go as I am afraid of being arrested.”

WONG, 60, RETIREE

Wong has been to more than 20 vigils for June 4 and said he will light a candle in a place other than Victoria Park.

“The ban does not put out the candlelight in my heart.”

WONG, 25, DESIGNER

“The oppression by the Hong Kong government has become more serious. It’s unnecessary to risk it.”

She said she did not plan to mark the event.

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.