BREAKING NEWS

Wales prop Francis to miss start of Six Nations

Wales prop Francis to miss start of Six Nations
FILE PHOTO: Rugby Union - Wales v South Africa - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Britain - November 24, 2018 Wales' Tomas Francis scores their first try Action Images via Reuters/Andrew Boyers -
Copyright
ANDREW BOYERS(Reuters)
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

(Reuters) – Wales prop Tomas Francis needs surgery to repair a shoulder injury he suffered at the Rugby World Cup, Exeter Chiefs boss Rob Baxter has said, ruling him out of the start of Wales’ Six nations title defence.

The 27-year-old sustained the injury during their semi-final defeat to South Africa in Japan and is likely to be out of action for up to four months.

“After two or three scans it became clear that Tom needs an operation to repair the shoulder injury he picked up with Wales at the World Cup,” Baxter said in a statement https://www.exeterchiefs.co.uk/news/prop-pieretto-signs-for-the-chiefs.

He added that they signed Argentina’s Enrique Pieretto until the end of the season as cover.

Wales, who won the Grand Slam earlier this year, begin their Six Nations campaign against Italy on Feb. 1.

(Reporting by Rohith Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.
Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.