BREAKING NEWS

Pentagon's Esper sees Syria pullback taking another "week or so"

Pentagon's Esper sees Syria pullback taking another "week or so"
FILE PHOTO: U.S. Secretary for Defense Mark Esper talks to the media prior to NATO defense ministers meeting at the Alliance headquarters in Brussels, Belgium October 24, 2019. Virginia Mayo/Pool via REUTERS -
Copyright
POOL(Reuters)
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

JOINTBASELEWIS-MCCHORD, Washington (Reuters) – The U.S. military pullback from the Kobani area in northeastern Syria near Turkey’s border should take “another week or so” to complete, Defence Secretary Mark Esper said on Wednesday, as the U.S. military repositions and reduces its forces in Syria.

Esper said that once the partial U.S. withdrawal was finished, the U.S. military would still have roughly around 600 troops in Syria, down from about 1,000 before Trump’s withdrawal order last month. Esper said the United States was still supporting the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which Turkey views as a terrorist group.

“We’re still partnering with the SDF. We’re still providing assistance to them,” Esper said, stressing the SDF’s role in helping prevent a resurgence of the Islamic State militant group.

(Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.
Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.