BREAKING NEWS

CAS confirms Salazar appeal against four-year ban

CAS confirms Salazar appeal against four-year ban
Coach Alberto Salazar stands in front of Galen Rupp of the U.S.A. in the Bird's Nest Stadium at the Wold Athletics Championships in Beijing, China, August 21, 2015. REUTERS/Phil Noble -
Copyright
Phil Noble(Reuters)
Text size Aa Aa

(Reuters) – American Alberto Salazar, who has coached some of the world’s top distance runners, has appealed against his four-year ban for doping violations, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) said Monday.

Salazar was given a four-year ban by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) on Sept. 30 for “orchestrating and facilitating prohibited doping conduct” as head coach of the Nike Oregon Project (NOP), a camp designed primarily to develop U.S. endurance athletes.

CAS said in a statement that it had registered an appeal from Salazar and endocrinologist Jeffrey Brown, who also worked on the NOP project and was banned for four years. Both have denied wrongdoing.

“At this stage, it appears that the hearings in these two matters are unlikely to take place before March 2020,” said CAS. Nike, which has since shut down the project, has previously said it would support Salazar’s appeal.

(Writing by Brian Homewood; Editing by Alex Richardson)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.
Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.