Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Landslide at gold mine in eastern Congo kills at least 16

Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

GOMA, Democratic Republic of Congo (Reuters) – A landslide at a shuttered gold mine in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo killed at least 16 people on Wednesday, the provincial governor said.

Dozens of people die in Congo every year because of old-fashioned and unregulated mining methods that compromise safety.

“There was an accident at the Kampene mine, and for the moment we were able to get 16 bodies from the site of the landslide,” Auguy Musafiri, governor of Maniema province, told Reuters by telephone.

“What surprises us is that the activities continued in this mine, which had been closed by the provincial division of mines.”

More than 20 people were working on the gold seam at the time of the accident, suggesting more bodies may be found, said Stéphane Kamundala, a local activist.

At least 43 illegal miners died in June in a landslide at a copper and cobalt mine run by Glencore <GLEN.L> in southern Congo, highlighting the dangers run by informal miners, who burrow dozens of meters below ground with rudimentary tools.

(Reporting by Fiston Mahamba; writing by Hereward Holland; Editing by Aaron Ross)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.