Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Militants kill eight in deadly ambush in Egypt's Sinai - sources

Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

CAIRO (Reuters) – Seven soldiers and one civilian were killed in an ambush in Egypt’s North Sinai region on Friday, security sources said, in an attack claimed by Islamic State.

Two soldiers were also wounded in the attack in Bir al-Abed, the two security sources said.

Islamic State said 15 soldiers had been killed in the attack, in a statement carried by its Amaq agency. The claim could not be verified.

Egypt has long been fighting Islamist militants, who have waged an insurgency that has killed hundreds of soldiers, police and residents, in the northern part of the Sinai Peninsula.

Also on Friday, Egypt’s Defence Ministry said security forces had killed 118 militants in north and central Sinai in the “past period”, without giving dates.

(Reporting by Ahmed Mohamed Hassan and Samar Hassan; Writing by Aidan Lewis; Editing by Leslie Adler)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.