Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Kuwait's ruler in U.S. hospital for tests, postpones Trump meeting

Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

DUBAI (Reuters) – Kuwait’s 90-year-old ruler has been admitted to hospital in the United States for medical tests and postponed a meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump planned for this week in Washington, state news agency KUNA said on Sunday.

Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah, who has ruled the U.S. ally and OPEC oil producer since 2006 and steered its foreign policy for more than 50 years, had been due to meet Trump on Sept. 12.

That meeting will occur at a later date, KUNA said, citing a senior official in the emir’s office. It had said last month he was in “good condition” after suffering an unspecified health setback.

He had held public meetings with members of his cabinet in Kuwait before travelling to the United States.

(Writing by Sylvia Westall; Editing by David Goodman and Andrew Cawthorne)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.