Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Metzelder steps down from club amid child pornography investigation - club

Metzelder steps down from club amid child pornography investigation - club
FILE PHOTO: Schalke 04's player Christoph Metzelder speaks during a news conference in Gelsenkirchen April 25, 2011. REUTERS/Alex Domanski -
Copyright
Alex Domanski(Reuters)
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

BERLIN (Reuters) – Former Germany defender Christoph Metzelder has stepped down as president from his boyhood club TuS Haltern am See after he was questioned by police as part of an investigation into distribution of child pornography, the club said in a statement.

Computer equipment was confiscated during two searches, Hamburg’s state prosecutor’s office said.

“The accused is alleged to have sent to a (female) recipient in Hamburg pictures with child pornographic content through the communication platform WhatsApp,” Hamburg state prosecutor’s office said.

Metzelder could not be reached for comment but his club, who play in the fourth division, said in a statement: “Until everything is cleared up with the ongoing investigation the former international will leave all his posts at TuS Haltern am See.”

Metzelder, a Bundesliga champion with Borussia Dortmund, also played for Schalke 04 and Real Madrid.

He was a World Cup runner-up in 2002 and won 47 caps for his country. He also played in the 2006 World Cup.

He had been chairman at Haltern since 2014.

(Reporting by Karolos Grohmann, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.