Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Uganda confirms another Ebola case

Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

KAMPALA (Reuters) – Uganda reported another case of Ebola on Thursday, a nine-year-old girl who had crossed the border from neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo, where the haemorrhagic disease has killed at least 1,800 in a year-long outbreak.

The health ministry said the girl, of Congolese origin, was identified by a screening team at Mpondwe border post as she tried to cross to Uganda with her mother on Aug. 28.

The girl exhibited symptoms including high fever, body weakness, rash and unexplained mouth bleeding, according to the statement.

A sample of her blood tested positive for Ebola, the ministry said. “Since the child was identified at the Point of Entry, there are no contacts in Uganda,” it said.

The new case is likely to heighten fears of the outbreak spilling over from Congo into neighbouring countries.

In June, two people who had travelled from Congo died in Uganda while a third who was part of the same visiting family died after he was sent back home.

Uganda has previously suffered multiple outbreaks of Ebola but fatalities have been kept low in part because of quick diagnoses and a rapid response mechanism.

In the statement the ministry said a rapid response team had been dispatched to Kasese district, some 470 km (290 miles) from the capital Kampala, to help with “case management, community engagement, contact tracing, psychological support and vaccination.”

(Reporting by Elias Biryabarema; Editing by Omar Mohammed and John Stonestreet)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.