Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Trump administration expected to announce plan to detain migrant children longer - ABC

Trump administration expected to announce plan to detain migrant children longer - ABC
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

(Reuters) – The Trump administration is expected to announce new rules that would allow the government to detain families with children crossing the U.S. border longer, according to ABC News, citing two government officials it said were familiar with the plan.

The announcement may come as soon as Wednesday, ABC said. (https://abcn.ws/2Z6oKhl)

A decades-old legal settlement called the Flores agreement establishes how long migrant children can be detained and the conditions of their detention, generally 20 days or less.

Earlier this month, the Trump administration unveiled a rule that some experts say could cut legal immigration in half by denying visas and permanent residency to hundreds of thousands of people for being too poor.

(Writing by Lisa Shumaker; Editing by Bill Rigby)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.