Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Britain concerned at reports HK consulate worker held in China

Britain concerned at reports HK consulate worker held in China
A man crosses a road outside the British Cosulate-general office in Hong Kong, China, August 20, 2019. REUTERS/Willy Kurniawan -
Copyright
WILLY KURNIAWAN(Reuters)
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

By Noah Sin and Tom Westbrook

HONGKONG (Reuters) – Britain said on Tuesday it was “extremely concerned” by reports that a staff member at the consulate in its former colony of Hong Kong had been detained in mainland China.

Simon Cheng did not return to work on Aug. 9 after visiting the neighbouring mainland city of Shenzhen the previous day, Hong Kong news website HK01 reported, citing an interview with his girlfriend and family.

Hong Kong has been gripped by anti-government protests in recent weeks, with Beijing accusing Britain and other Western countries of meddling in its affairs.

Britain, the United States and other countries have urged China to respect the “one country, two systems” formula under which Hong Kong returned to China in 1997.

“We are extremely concerned by reports that a member of our team has been detained returning to Hong Kong from Shenzhen,” a representative of Britain’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office said in a statement released by the British embassy in Beijing.

“We are providing support to his family and seeking further information from authorities in Guangdong Province and Hong Kong,” the representative said.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry declined to comment on the case. Hong Kong police did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Hong Kong’s Immigration Department confirmed via email it had received a “request for assistance from subject’s family member” and “had provided the family with proper advice and practical assistance”.

The British consulate in Hong Kong referred Reuters to the Foreign Office statement.

(Additional reporting by Ben Blanchard in Beijing; Editing by Michael Perry and Darren Schuettler)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.