Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Bruce confirms talks with Newcastle over managerial vacancy

Bruce confirms talks with Newcastle over managerial vacancy
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Championship - Sheffield Wednesday v Nottingham Forest - Hillsborough, Sheffield, Britain - April 9, 2019 Sheffield Wednesday manager Steve Bruce Action Images/Ed Sykes -
Copyright
Ed Sykes(Reuters)
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

(Reuters) – Sheffield Wednesday boss Steve Bruce confirmed he has held talks with Newcastle United over the vacant manager’s post but said he is waiting for both clubs to agree a compromise deal.

Bruce, 58, is one of the frontrunners to replace Rafa Benitez, who quit St James’ Park last month at the end of his contract.

Sky Sports reported Newcastle had hoped to confirm Bruce’s appointment with a compensation payment of around £1 million pounds, but Sheffield Wednesday are holding out for significantly more than that.

When asked to confirm if he had already held talks with Newcastle, former Manchester United defender Bruce told Sky Sports: “I have had a conversation, yes.

“It has happened so quickly that I have to take stock of the situation, it’s in the hands of both clubs and I will see where it develops over the next 24 to 48 hours.

“There is nothing really to talk about until the two clubs reach some sort of a compromise.”

Former Sunderland and Aston Villa boss Bruce was appointed as Sheffield Wednesday manager in January and guided them to a 12th-placed finish in the Championship.

(Reporting by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru; Editing by Toby Davis)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.