Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Gas leak in Winnipeg motel sends 46 people to hospital

Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

By Moira Warburton

(Reuters) – A carbon monoxide gas leak in a motel in Winnipeg, Manitoba, sent 46 people to the hospital, with 15 of those in critical condition, the city said on Tuesday.

Staff and guests were evacuated from the Super 8 Motel, the city added on Twitter. The fire department got an alarm at 10:19 a.m. CDT (1519 GMT).

Manitoba Hydro, the provincial gas provider, said on Twitter it shut off gas to the motel and is ventilating the building.

Carbon monoxide readings at the motel came in at 385 parts per million (ppm), Alex Forrest, president of the United Fire Fighters of Winnipeg, told CBC News. Carbon monoxide levels become dangerous at 10-20 ppm, he said.

(Reporting by Moira Warburton; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.