Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Venezuelan government and opposition to restart negotiations - sources

Venezuelan government and opposition to restart negotiations - sources
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

CARACAS (Reuters) – Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s government and opposition leader Juan Guaido’s team will restart negotiations to try to resolve the country’s crisis, three people familiar with the talks said on Saturday.

The three people told Reuters that both sides had not yet decided whether to hold the discussions in Oslo, where previous talks were held, or in Barbados.

Two of the people said the talks would begin next week.

Norway’s government encouraged both sides to meet in Oslo in May, but they were unable to reach any agreement to resolve the economic and political crisis that has driven more than 4 million Venezuelans to flee abroad.

Few details have been released about the contents of the talks between representatives of Maduro and Guaidó, who assumed a rival presidency in January and denounces Maduro as illegitimate for securing re-election last year in a vote widely viewed as fraudulent.

Guaido said on Twitter on Friday that he had received backing from allies to “begin a new round of consultations with national and international leaders,” without giving more details. 

(Reporting by Mayela Armas and Dan Flynn; Writing by Angus Berwick; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.