Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Everton sign Gomes on permanent deal from Barca

Everton sign Gomes on permanent deal from Barca
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Everton v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Goodison Park, Liverpool, Britain - February 2, 2019 Everton's Andre Gomes celebrates scoring their first goal REUTERS/Phil Noble -
Copyright
Phil Noble(Reuters)
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

BARCELONA (Reuters) – Everton have signed Andre Gomes from Barcelona, both clubs said on Tuesday, after the Portugal midfielder completed a successful loan spell at the Premier League side last season.

“Barcelona and Everton have come to an agreement for the transfer of the Portuguese footballer Andre Gomes. The amount agreed to for the transfer is 25 million euros plus add-ons,” said Barca’s statement.

“Barcelona would like to publicly thank Andre Gomes for his dedication and commitment, and wishes him the best of luck and success in the future.”

Gomes, 25, endured a disappointing two years at Barca following a move from Valencia in 2016 for an initial fee of 35 million euros, making only six La Liga starts in his second campaign.

He later revealed his struggles to deal with criticism for his poor performances with Barca, telling magazine Panenka his time at the club had ‘turned into a bit of a hell’ and on occasions he did not want to leave his house.

“I’m really happy to sign the contract with Everton – it wasn’t hard to decide, it was an easy decision and I’m very happy to have made it,” Gomes told Everton’s official television channel.

“Last year was a really good experience for me. I just wanted to feel part of something special and I found it here.

Gomes was the second player to leave Barca on Tuesday after reserve team player Marc Cardona was sold to promoted La Liga side Osasuna for 2.5 million euros.

(Reporting by Richard Martin; Editing by Toby Davis)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.