Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Sirotkin to double up as McLaren and Renault F1 reserve

Sirotkin to double up as McLaren and Renault F1 reserve
FILE PHOTO: Formula One F1 - Pre Season Testing - Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain - February 28, 2019 Renault reserve driver Sergey Sirotkin during testing REUTERS/Albert Gea -
Copyright
ALBERT GEA(Reuters)
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

LE CASTELLET, France (Reuters) – Russian Sergey Sirotkin will double up as McLaren and Renault Formula One reserve driver this season, they announced at the French Grand Prix on Friday.

Renault had already appointed the former Williams racer in February and McLaren said an agreement had been reached for Sirotkin to fill in for them too should Carlos Sainz or Lando Norris be unavailable.

“This is an expedient solution for McLaren in 2019,” said McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl in a statement.

“Sergey is a known quantity, has the necessary superlicence points and is formally aligned to our engine provider, Renault, so he is the obvious candidate.”

Sirotkin, 23, will also continue with SMP Racing in the World Endurance Championship. He will attend every grand prix for the rest of the year.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Toby Davis)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.