Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Exclusive: Mexico to cancel October auctions for Pemex joint ventures - sources

Exclusive: Mexico to cancel October auctions for Pemex joint ventures - sources
FILE PHOTO: The Pemex logo is pictured during the 80th anniversary of the expropriation of Mexico's oil industry in Mexico City, Mexico March 16, 2018. REUTERS/Edgard Garrido -
Copyright
Edgard Garrido(Reuters)
Text size Aa Aa

MEXICOCITY (Reuters) – Mexico’s oil regulator plans to announce the cancellation of auctions scheduled for October to pick joint venture partners for state-run energy company Pemex in seven onshore areas, two sources close to the decision told Reuters on Thursday.

The auctions have already been postponed twice since last year and are expected to be formally cancelled later on Thursday, the sources said.

Pemex could not be immediately reached for comment.

The decision on whether or not the projects would go forward has been eagerly awaited by the industry given Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador’s pledge to revive Pemex, the world’s most indebted oil company.

Formally known as Petroleos Mexicanos, Pemex has seen its crude production fall for more than a dozen years. The joint ventures have been seen as a way to help reverse the slide by luring significant outside investment from private partners.

(Reporting by Adriana Barrera; Editing by David Alire Garcia and Leslie Adler)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.