Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Italy's Salvini and Di Maio say government to go on, seek dialogue with EU

Italy's Salvini and Di Maio say government to go on, seek dialogue with EU
FILE PHOTO: Italy's Minister of Labor and Industry Luigi Di Maio gestures next to Interior Minister Matteo Salvini after the sworn-in ceremony at the Quirinal palace in Rome, Italy, June 1, 2018. REUTERS/Remo Casilli -
Copyright
REMO CASILLI(Reuters)
Text size Aa Aa

ROME (Reuters) – The leaders of Italy’s ruling parties Matteo Salvini and Luigi Di Maio said in a statement on Thursday that the government was not about to collapse and pledged constructive dialogue with the European Union on budget rules.

“The government will carry on,” they said in a joint statement following a rare face-to-face meeting, adding that their priority was to cut taxes in order to relaunch the economy.

The European Commission said on Wednesday that Italy’s growing public debt broke EU rules, opening the way to a possible disciplinary procedure against Rome.

Relations between the ruling League and 5-Star Movement became fraught in the run up to last month’s European parliamentary election and there has been widespread media speculation that their year-old coalition might collapse.

(Reporting by Angelo Amante; Editing by Crispian Balmer)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.