Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Egyptian security forces kill 16 suspected militants in Sinai

Text size Aa Aa

CAIRO (Reuters) - Egyptian security forces have killed 16 suspected militants in North Sinai and found a stash of weapons and explosives in their hideouts, the Interior Ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.

The statement said they were plotting "terrorist attacks against important facilities and figures in different places in Arish", which is the capital of governorate.

The ministry said the suspects were killed in "armed confrontations", but did not elaborate on their identity or whether there had been casualties among the security forces. It did not say when the clashes happened.

Egypt has long been fighting Islamist militants, who have waged an insurgency that has killed hundreds of soldiers, police and residents, in the northern part of the Sinai Peninsula.

Human rights organisations accuse Egypt of carrying out extrajudicial executions and of trying civilians in military courts as part of the crackdown.

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi says strong security measures are needed to stabilise Egypt after the turmoil that followed the country’s 2011 uprising.

(Reporting by Haitham Ahmed; Writing by Amina Ismail; Editing by Alison Williams)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.